@DailyNation

Mau settlers to await court ruling before evictions resume

2 months ago, 10 Aug 21:11

By: George Sayagie

Mau Forest settlers will have to wait for 45 days for the court to rule on temporary orders stopping evictions.

This is after the Environment and Lands Court in Narok concluded hearing of the petition filed by 13 Mau Forest settlers seeking orders to stop the evictions.

That means phase two of the evictions might be delayed as the government awaits the court ruling.

Issues surrounding legality of title deeds, illegal extension of group ranches, the legitimacy of cutline, and the manner in which the evictions were done took centre stage, with lawyers from both sides pulling in different directions.

Lawyers representing the evictees led by Humprey Manyange pushed for conservatory orders to stop a multi-agency team from evicting the settlers until the case is heard and determined.

GROUP RANCHES

Mr Manyange claims that the government is illegally evicting private owners of individual property comprising Reiyo, Enakishomi, Sisiyan, Enoosokon and Nkaroni group ranches who do not live in the forest.

“My clients are private land owners; they were issued with title deeds for this land between 1996 and 2003 and they are not living in the forest,” said Mr Manyange.

Mr Manyenge argued that his clients have suffered irreparable harm, accusing the government of conducting the evictions in an inhumane manner that has caused his clients unimaginable losses through destruction of property.

He listed Cabinet secretaries Farida Karoney (Land), Fred Matiang'i (Interior), Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya, Kenya Forest Service Chief Conservator Monicah Kalenda and the National Land Commission as the respondents.

PHASE ONE

At the close of the first phase of evictions last month, the government had secured about 12,000 hectares of the forest, ejected 7,082 people and demolished over 1,700 temporary structures in the 46,000-hectare forest.

But lawyers for the State poked holes into the settlers’ petition, arguing that the government is only evicting people from forest land that was illegally encroached upon.

Deputy Chief State Counsel Oscar Eredi said the government is opposed to the temporary orders.

He said the five group ranches were subdivided among the group ranch members but during the time of subdivision, the ranch officials enhanced the acreage from the original size.

“Land miraculously expanded into the forest, and there was not a vacuum; this act was illegal since the title of this group ranches had its original acreage,” said Mr Eredi.

NLC and KWS to file their responses by end of Wednesday ahead of hearing on August 10.


Read More


Category: topnews news counties

Suggested

1 hour ago
@CapitalFMNews - By: Pscu
Uhuru promises credible national exams

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 17 - President Uhuru Kenyatta has promised that the government will deliver credible examinations and warned those bent on attempts to - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Ca ...

Category: topnews
1 hours ago, 14:55
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Maribe claims DCI spy was planted at her Gigiri police cell

Citizen TV journalist Jacque Maribe has accused lead investigator Chief Inspector Maxwell Otieno of planting a ‘spy’ inside her cell in Gigiri ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 14:44
@StandardMedia - By: Joackim Bwana
How ex-husband and friend stabbed and raped, leading to double amputation

A 27-year-old double amputee has testified before a hushed court in Mombasa how she lost her legs when her estranged husband raped ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 14:34
@CITIZENTV - By: James Were
Ouna convinced KCB will excel after experiencing Wazito Struggles

Despite failing to secure a place for Wazito FC in the 2018-2019 KPL season, head Frank Ouna is confident of a successful campaign with his new side KCB ...

Category: topnews news sports
2 hours ago, 14:23
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Parliament to vote on proposal to change election date to December

The National Assembly is on Wednesday expected to debate a proposal to change the election date. ...

Category: topnews news
16 minutes
@TheStar - By: Pscu
South Sudan crisis: Uhuru briefed on peace progress

President Uhuru Kenyatta today held talks with South Africa’s Deputy President David Dabede Mabuza who briefed him on the progress made in the peace process in South Sudan.Mabuza who was returning fro ...

Category: topnews news

@DailyNation

Mau settlers to await court ruling before evictions resume

2 months ago, 10 Aug 21:11

By: George Sayagie

Mau Forest settlers will have to wait for 45 days for the court to rule on temporary orders stopping evictions.

This is after the Environment and Lands Court in Narok concluded hearing of the petition filed by 13 Mau Forest settlers seeking orders to stop the evictions.

That means phase two of the evictions might be delayed as the government awaits the court ruling.

Issues surrounding legality of title deeds, illegal extension of group ranches, the legitimacy of cutline, and the manner in which the evictions were done took centre stage, with lawyers from both sides pulling in different directions.

Lawyers representing the evictees led by Humprey Manyange pushed for conservatory orders to stop a multi-agency team from evicting the settlers until the case is heard and determined.

GROUP RANCHES

Mr Manyange claims that the government is illegally evicting private owners of individual property comprising Reiyo, Enakishomi, Sisiyan, Enoosokon and Nkaroni group ranches who do not live in the forest.

“My clients are private land owners; they were issued with title deeds for this land between 1996 and 2003 and they are not living in the forest,” said Mr Manyange.

Mr Manyenge argued that his clients have suffered irreparable harm, accusing the government of conducting the evictions in an inhumane manner that has caused his clients unimaginable losses through destruction of property.

He listed Cabinet secretaries Farida Karoney (Land), Fred Matiang'i (Interior), Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya, Kenya Forest Service Chief Conservator Monicah Kalenda and the National Land Commission as the respondents.

PHASE ONE

At the close of the first phase of evictions last month, the government had secured about 12,000 hectares of the forest, ejected 7,082 people and demolished over 1,700 temporary structures in the 46,000-hectare forest.

But lawyers for the State poked holes into the settlers’ petition, arguing that the government is only evicting people from forest land that was illegally encroached upon.

Deputy Chief State Counsel Oscar Eredi said the government is opposed to the temporary orders.

He said the five group ranches were subdivided among the group ranch members but during the time of subdivision, the ranch officials enhanced the acreage from the original size.

“Land miraculously expanded into the forest, and there was not a vacuum; this act was illegal since the title of this group ranches had its original acreage,” said Mr Eredi.

NLC and KWS to file their responses by end of Wednesday ahead of hearing on August 10.


Read More

Category: topnews news counties

Suggested

1 hour ago
@CapitalFMNews - By: Pscu
Uhuru promises credible national exams

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 17 - President Uhuru Kenyatta has promised that the government will deliver credible examinations and warned those bent on attempts to - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Ca ...

Category: topnews
1 hours ago, 14:55
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Maribe claims DCI spy was planted at her Gigiri police cell

Citizen TV journalist Jacque Maribe has accused lead investigator Chief Inspector Maxwell Otieno of planting a ‘spy’ inside her cell in Gigiri ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 14:44
@StandardMedia - By: Joackim Bwana
How ex-husband and friend stabbed and raped, leading to double amputation

A 27-year-old double amputee has testified before a hushed court in Mombasa how she lost her legs when her estranged husband raped ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 14:34
@CITIZENTV - By: James Were
Ouna convinced KCB will excel after experiencing Wazito Struggles

Despite failing to secure a place for Wazito FC in the 2018-2019 KPL season, head Frank Ouna is confident of a successful campaign with his new side KCB ...

Category: topnews news sports
2 hours ago, 14:23
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Parliament to vote on proposal to change election date to December

The National Assembly is on Wednesday expected to debate a proposal to change the election date. ...

Category: topnews news
16 minutes
@TheStar - By: Pscu
South Sudan crisis: Uhuru briefed on peace progress

President Uhuru Kenyatta today held talks with South Africa’s Deputy President David Dabede Mabuza who briefed him on the progress made in the peace process in South Sudan.Mabuza who was returning fro ...

Category: topnews news
Our App