@DailyNation

We are proud of our work in last year’s polls, says Chebukati

1 weeks ago, 21:59

By: Patrick Lang'at

The electoral commission on Wednesday used the dismissal of 90 per cent of the 300 election petitions as an indication of a well-managed 2017 poll despite the annulment of the presidential election.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati told a post-poll evaluation forum that the agency had done a good job.

“The commission did well, and we are proud of what we did. Out of the 14,523 candidates we had, only 25 of the 300 that were dissatisfied with the way we conducted the polls succeeded in the courts,” said Mr Chebukati at the Sarova Panafric Hotel, where the IEBC is holding a two-day national post-election evaluation meeting.

A total of 388 petitions were filed in courts after the election, most of them given traction by the historic decision by the Supreme Court to invalidate the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta citing “illegalities, and irregularities”.

PETITIONS INCREASED

Of the 388 cases, 88 were those challenging the nomination of various candidates by parties to different seats.
Of the 209 appeals at the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and the High Court, at least 56 per cent of them had been dismissed by July 27, when the Judiciary released its latest logs of the petitions.
And while the petitions increased in number in 2017 from the 188 lodged in the previous General Election, the rate of success declined, with 24 of the 2013 poll cases allowed against 115 that were dismissed, 17 that were withdrawn, and 31 struck out on technical grounds.
On Wednesday, Mr Chebukati asked Parliament and the Treasury to ensure a continuous funding of the commission, saying lump sum release of funds very close to the elections was ineffective.

ESTABLISH IEBC FUND
“The election cycle never ends, and we have activities that should be funded throughout the time,” Mr Chebukati said, calling for the establishment of the IEBC Fund”
Speaking at the forum, National Assembly Justice and Legal Affairs Committee chairman William Cheptumo described the lack of quorum to conduct plenary at the IEBC as issue that should be fixed.
Four of the seven commissioners left their jobs at the commission leaving only Mr Chebukati, Mr Boya Molu, and Prof Abdi Guliye at work

More judgements are on the way towards the end of January and early February.


Read More


Category: topnews news politics

Suggested

1 hour ago
@DailyNation - By: Kazungu Samuel
Now SGR to start ferrying imported cars from Mombasa port

This means more than 200,000 imported cars can be now transported via SGR trains annually. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 00:14
@StandardMedia - By: Paul Ogemba
DPP plans to charge Obado with murder of foetus

Prosecutor argues that second person (unborn child) was killed during Sharon's murder. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 00:03
@TheStar - By: Felix Olick @olic ...
EACC probes Obado’s Sh100m palatial home

The anti-graft agency estimates that beleaguered Migori governor Okoth Obado’s rural home is worth more than Sh100 million. The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission says in court papers that the pala ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 22:50
@DailyNation - By: Afp
Bill Cosby jailed for 10 years, branded ' sexually violent predator'

Cosby is the first celebrity convicted and sentenced for a sex crime since the downfall of Harvey Weinstein. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 23:32
@TheStar - By: Pscu @pscu_digita ...
Margaret Kenyatta: Beyond Zero to help train caregivers of kids with disorders

First Lady Margaret Kenyatta has called for the acceptance, inclusion and equitable opportunities for children living with disabilities especially autism disorder.She said one of the greatest challeng ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 23:11
@TheStar - By: Joseph Kangogo
Baringo MCAs criticise Governor Kiptis over staff headcount

MCAs in Baringo have criticised Governor Stanley Kiptis for ordering a staff headcount to weed out ghost workers.On Monday, Kiptis launched the three-day drive in Mogotio."Counties like Nandi have lau ...

Category: topnews news

@DailyNation

We are proud of our work in last year’s polls, says Chebukati

1 weeks ago, 21:59

By: Patrick Lang'at

The electoral commission on Wednesday used the dismissal of 90 per cent of the 300 election petitions as an indication of a well-managed 2017 poll despite the annulment of the presidential election.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati told a post-poll evaluation forum that the agency had done a good job.

“The commission did well, and we are proud of what we did. Out of the 14,523 candidates we had, only 25 of the 300 that were dissatisfied with the way we conducted the polls succeeded in the courts,” said Mr Chebukati at the Sarova Panafric Hotel, where the IEBC is holding a two-day national post-election evaluation meeting.

A total of 388 petitions were filed in courts after the election, most of them given traction by the historic decision by the Supreme Court to invalidate the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta citing “illegalities, and irregularities”.

PETITIONS INCREASED

Of the 388 cases, 88 were those challenging the nomination of various candidates by parties to different seats.
Of the 209 appeals at the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and the High Court, at least 56 per cent of them had been dismissed by July 27, when the Judiciary released its latest logs of the petitions.
And while the petitions increased in number in 2017 from the 188 lodged in the previous General Election, the rate of success declined, with 24 of the 2013 poll cases allowed against 115 that were dismissed, 17 that were withdrawn, and 31 struck out on technical grounds.
On Wednesday, Mr Chebukati asked Parliament and the Treasury to ensure a continuous funding of the commission, saying lump sum release of funds very close to the elections was ineffective.

ESTABLISH IEBC FUND
“The election cycle never ends, and we have activities that should be funded throughout the time,” Mr Chebukati said, calling for the establishment of the IEBC Fund”
Speaking at the forum, National Assembly Justice and Legal Affairs Committee chairman William Cheptumo described the lack of quorum to conduct plenary at the IEBC as issue that should be fixed.
Four of the seven commissioners left their jobs at the commission leaving only Mr Chebukati, Mr Boya Molu, and Prof Abdi Guliye at work

More judgements are on the way towards the end of January and early February.


Read More

Category: topnews news politics

Suggested

1 hour ago
@DailyNation - By: Kazungu Samuel
Now SGR to start ferrying imported cars from Mombasa port

This means more than 200,000 imported cars can be now transported via SGR trains annually. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 00:14
@StandardMedia - By: Paul Ogemba
DPP plans to charge Obado with murder of foetus

Prosecutor argues that second person (unborn child) was killed during Sharon's murder. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 00:03
@TheStar - By: Felix Olick @olic ...
EACC probes Obado’s Sh100m palatial home

The anti-graft agency estimates that beleaguered Migori governor Okoth Obado’s rural home is worth more than Sh100 million. The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission says in court papers that the pala ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 22:50
@DailyNation - By: Afp
Bill Cosby jailed for 10 years, branded ' sexually violent predator'

Cosby is the first celebrity convicted and sentenced for a sex crime since the downfall of Harvey Weinstein. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 23:32
@TheStar - By: Pscu @pscu_digita ...
Margaret Kenyatta: Beyond Zero to help train caregivers of kids with disorders

First Lady Margaret Kenyatta has called for the acceptance, inclusion and equitable opportunities for children living with disabilities especially autism disorder.She said one of the greatest challeng ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 23:11
@TheStar - By: Joseph Kangogo
Baringo MCAs criticise Governor Kiptis over staff headcount

MCAs in Baringo have criticised Governor Stanley Kiptis for ordering a staff headcount to weed out ghost workers.On Monday, Kiptis launched the three-day drive in Mogotio."Counties like Nandi have lau ...

Category: topnews news
Our App