Uhuru opens tenders to public in fresh war on corruption cartels
4 months ago, 13 June 18:46
President Uhuru Kenyatta has directed government entities to open up tenders for public scrutiny just hours after the High Court backed his bid for fresh vetting of procurement officers.
In a raft of executive orders President Uhuru Kenyatta issued on Wednesday, all the public entities and institutions will start publishing full details of tenders and awards from the July 1.
President Kenyatta, apparently emboldened by a High Court decision that upheld his directive on procurement officers on Wednesday, said the publication would allow members of the public to access crucial information about public tenders.
Later, from next January, procurement of public goods, works and services in the government will now be undertaken through the Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS), the State House added.
In a statement on Wednesday, State House spokesman Manoah Esipisu said the move aims to entrench good governance in the management of public affairs and deepen accountability and transparency in procurement of public goods and services. “This will enhance the highest level of public scrutiny at all units of public administration, and thereby improve the management of public resources for public good," he said.
The Executive Order directs Treasury secretary Henry Rotich to guarantee the integrity of the IFMIS.
The government last week ordered all heads of procurement and accounting units in ministries, departments, agencies and State corporations to step aside and hand over to their deputies as they wait to undergo a fresh vetting.
Yesterday, the Employment and Labour Relations Court ruled that all government procurement and finance officers should proceed on forced leave to allow their employer time to vet them.
Category: business corporate news lifestyle economy opinion markets