@BusinessDaily

Team to help finance small firms’ tea exports formed

4 months ago, 10 Jan 18:09

By: Gerald Andae

The Tea Directorate has formed a task force to spearhead value addition and finance Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to enable them get direct access to export market. The Committee on Establishment of a Common User Blending and Packaging Facility (CUF) formed in November last year is expected to hand in its report after three months. The facility will help SMEs that do not have the financial muscle to put up their own plant access a common user unit to enable them blend and package tea for export. “The establishment of a common user facility will help in boosting international trade and help small-scale tea traders to carry out value addition on their merchandise,” said Edward Mudibo, the chairman of the committee. The core mandate of the committee is to actualise the tea industry task force report of 2016 that called for speedy implementation of the common-user facility to support SMEs in value addition. “We shall review the proposal for establishing the CUF and make practical recommendation on the implementation framework as part of our terms of reference,” he said.    Other tasks include determining a suitable funding model for the CUF, propose incentives that can attract youth to engage in value addition and suggest the location and management structures for the CUF. Currently, multinationals with financial muscle export up to 90 per cent of the total tea volumes produced in the country while the small traders only manage to sell the remaining 10 per cent outside the country. Last year, the directorate signed a memorandum of understanding with Export promotion Council (EPC) to give SMEs expert coaching on accessing the export markets and build their capacity and knowledge on making international enquiries from overseas customers. The country exports bulk tea to Egypt, UK, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Sudan, Yemen and U.A.E. The Tea Directorate is currently scouting for new markets.
Read More


Category: business news corporate lifestyle economy opinion markets

Suggested

1 hours ago, 12:20
@BusinessDaily - By: Laban Cliff Onser ...
How Africa can make its big trade deal work for it

Trade Mark East Africa boss on the opportunity for the continent to trade itself out of poverty and the challenges it has to overcome ...

Category: business news lifestyle corporate markets economy
1 hours ago, 12:19
@CapitalFMNews - By: Margaret Njugunah
Continental free agreement to more than triple Africa trade: CS Kiptoo

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 24 –  Trade, Industry and Cooperatives Principal Secretary Chris Kiptoo has said the Africa Continental Free Trade Area agreement will Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | ...

Category: business
2 hours ago, 11:25
@CapitalFMNews - By: Kennedy Kangethe
HF Group MD Frank Ireri to exit company in March 2019

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 - HF Group Managing Director Frank Ireri is set to leave the group in March next year, after he opted not to renew his contract. In Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | ...

Category: business finance
2 hours ago, 11:34
@CapitalFMNews - By: Chris Kirubi
Develop Hard and Soft skills to build business. #AskKirubi

What is it that makes a great and successful business person? Do you need certain set skills to have a thriving business? How can I use my skills to better my life and those people around me? Kenya br ...

Category: business ask_kirubi
2 hours ago, 11:50
@AfricaNews - By: Africanews
Nigeria's Bodo community claims win over Shell after latest UK court ruling | Africanews

A London High Court judge, Mrs Justice Cockerill, ruled that the litigation against Shell should remain stayed until July 1, 2019, with no conditions attached should the Bodo community’s representat ...

Category: africa africa_business business news
1 day ago, 12:17
@StandardMedia - By: Benard Sanga
GMO cotton trials get underway

The Government has begun nationwide trials for the production of genetically modified cotton. ...

Category: business news

@BusinessDaily

Team to help finance small firms’ tea exports formed

4 months ago, 10 Jan 18:09

By: Gerald Andae
The Tea Directorate has formed a task force to spearhead value addition and finance Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to enable them get direct access to export market. The Committee on Establishment of a Common User Blending and Packaging Facility (CUF) formed in November last year is expected to hand in its report after three months. The facility will help SMEs that do not have the financial muscle to put up their own plant access a common user unit to enable them blend and package tea for export. “The establishment of a common user facility will help in boosting international trade and help small-scale tea traders to carry out value addition on their merchandise,” said Edward Mudibo, the chairman of the committee. The core mandate of the committee is to actualise the tea industry task force report of 2016 that called for speedy implementation of the common-user facility to support SMEs in value addition. “We shall review the proposal for establishing the CUF and make practical recommendation on the implementation framework as part of our terms of reference,” he said.    Other tasks include determining a suitable funding model for the CUF, propose incentives that can attract youth to engage in value addition and suggest the location and management structures for the CUF. Currently, multinationals with financial muscle export up to 90 per cent of the total tea volumes produced in the country while the small traders only manage to sell the remaining 10 per cent outside the country. Last year, the directorate signed a memorandum of understanding with Export promotion Council (EPC) to give SMEs expert coaching on accessing the export markets and build their capacity and knowledge on making international enquiries from overseas customers. The country exports bulk tea to Egypt, UK, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Sudan, Yemen and U.A.E. The Tea Directorate is currently scouting for new markets.
Read More

Category: business news corporate lifestyle economy opinion markets

Suggested

1 hours ago, 12:20
@BusinessDaily - By: Laban Cliff Onser ...
How Africa can make its big trade deal work for it

Trade Mark East Africa boss on the opportunity for the continent to trade itself out of poverty and the challenges it has to overcome ...

Category: business news lifestyle corporate markets economy
1 hours ago, 12:19
@CapitalFMNews - By: Margaret Njugunah
Continental free agreement to more than triple Africa trade: CS Kiptoo

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 24 –  Trade, Industry and Cooperatives Principal Secretary Chris Kiptoo has said the Africa Continental Free Trade Area agreement will Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | ...

Category: business
2 hours ago, 11:25
@CapitalFMNews - By: Kennedy Kangethe
HF Group MD Frank Ireri to exit company in March 2019

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 - HF Group Managing Director Frank Ireri is set to leave the group in March next year, after he opted not to renew his contract. In Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | ...

Category: business finance
2 hours ago, 11:34
@CapitalFMNews - By: Chris Kirubi
Develop Hard and Soft skills to build business. #AskKirubi

What is it that makes a great and successful business person? Do you need certain set skills to have a thriving business? How can I use my skills to better my life and those people around me? Kenya br ...

Category: business ask_kirubi
2 hours ago, 11:50
@AfricaNews - By: Africanews
Nigeria's Bodo community claims win over Shell after latest UK court ruling | Africanews

A London High Court judge, Mrs Justice Cockerill, ruled that the litigation against Shell should remain stayed until July 1, 2019, with no conditions attached should the Bodo community’s representat ...

Category: africa africa_business business news
1 day ago, 12:17
@StandardMedia - By: Benard Sanga
GMO cotton trials get underway

The Government has begun nationwide trials for the production of genetically modified cotton. ...

Category: business news
Our App