@DailyNation

Tanzanian Muslims strip naked to protest detention without trial

5 months ago, 18 Jan 07:02

By: Afp

A group of Tanzanian Muslims who have been held in prison since 2013 on terror charges stripped naked in an unusual protest to demand the start of their trial, a witness said Wednesday. Some 60 Muslims were detained nearly five years ago following a series of deadly attacks in Arusha, a mainly Christian city in the north, but they have yet to go on trial. A witness, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the incident occurred on Tuesday morning when the group was on its way to court for a procedural hearing. "Of the 60 accused in the bus, 19 got out completely naked, taking everyone by surprise," the witness said. "Security forces immediately led them to an isolation cell opposite the courtroom. We heard them shouting that they were sick of the delays in finishing the investigation so that their process can start." Several local media, including government daily Habari Leo, said security officers begged the group, all of them men, to get dressed. But they refused — and the court said it would only allow those who were dressed to appear. At the hearing, prosecutor Augustino Kombo once again told the court that the investigation had still not finished, daily Mwananchi said, with the next date set for January 30. Another prosecutor, Maternus Marandu, who slammed the detainees' behaviour as "immoral", explained the delay by saying it was a very complex investigation which also required work abroad, the Habari Leo newspaper reported. In March 2017, the suspects — among them preachers — threatened to boycott any future hearings and complained their families had been barred from visiting them until the start of their trial.
Read More


Category: topnews news

Suggested

1 hours ago, 18:30
@CITIZENTV - By: Benjamin Muriuki
Relief for Nairobi residents as Ndakaini Dam nears full capacity

Nairobi residents, who have been grappling with water rationing, can now heave a sigh of relief after the County Government announced improved water supply. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 18:22
@DailyNation - By: Manase Otsialo
Reprieve as Elwak Airstrip set to resume operations

The airstrip in Mandera was closed over security concerns. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Jane Cherotich
Busia budget committee disbanded after accusing MCAs of bribery

The Busia assembly's Budget and Appropriations Committee was disbanded on Wednesday following a demand by MCAs.The committee had been under the stewardship of Nangina MCA John Obwogo. It was disbanded ...

Category: topnews news
41 minutes
@TheStar - By: Daily Mail @mailo ...
Senegal coach's intense celebrations makes him 'meme of the World Cup'

Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse's celebration when his team scored the winning goal against Poland in their World Cup opening game has become an internet sensation.When M’Baye Niang put Senegal up 2-0 in ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Rita Damary
40 gambling machines set ablaze in Nakuru Town West

More than 40 gambling machines impounded in Nakuru Town West have been set ablaze by county administrators.The machines were seized in the ongoing crackdown ordered by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 17:55
@CITIZENTV - By: Agnes Amondi
Guikan nets hatrick in Gor rout of Kenpoly

Guikan nets hatrick in Gor rout of Kenpoly ...

Category: topnews news sports

@DailyNation

Tanzanian Muslims strip naked to protest detention without trial

5 months ago, 18 Jan 07:02

By: Afp
A group of Tanzanian Muslims who have been held in prison since 2013 on terror charges stripped naked in an unusual protest to demand the start of their trial, a witness said Wednesday. Some 60 Muslims were detained nearly five years ago following a series of deadly attacks in Arusha, a mainly Christian city in the north, but they have yet to go on trial. A witness, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the incident occurred on Tuesday morning when the group was on its way to court for a procedural hearing. "Of the 60 accused in the bus, 19 got out completely naked, taking everyone by surprise," the witness said. "Security forces immediately led them to an isolation cell opposite the courtroom. We heard them shouting that they were sick of the delays in finishing the investigation so that their process can start." Several local media, including government daily Habari Leo, said security officers begged the group, all of them men, to get dressed. But they refused — and the court said it would only allow those who were dressed to appear. At the hearing, prosecutor Augustino Kombo once again told the court that the investigation had still not finished, daily Mwananchi said, with the next date set for January 30. Another prosecutor, Maternus Marandu, who slammed the detainees' behaviour as "immoral", explained the delay by saying it was a very complex investigation which also required work abroad, the Habari Leo newspaper reported. In March 2017, the suspects — among them preachers — threatened to boycott any future hearings and complained their families had been barred from visiting them until the start of their trial.
Read More

Category: topnews news

Suggested

1 hours ago, 18:30
@CITIZENTV - By: Benjamin Muriuki
Relief for Nairobi residents as Ndakaini Dam nears full capacity

Nairobi residents, who have been grappling with water rationing, can now heave a sigh of relief after the County Government announced improved water supply. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 18:22
@DailyNation - By: Manase Otsialo
Reprieve as Elwak Airstrip set to resume operations

The airstrip in Mandera was closed over security concerns. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Jane Cherotich
Busia budget committee disbanded after accusing MCAs of bribery

The Busia assembly's Budget and Appropriations Committee was disbanded on Wednesday following a demand by MCAs.The committee had been under the stewardship of Nangina MCA John Obwogo. It was disbanded ...

Category: topnews news
41 minutes
@TheStar - By: Daily Mail @mailo ...
Senegal coach's intense celebrations makes him 'meme of the World Cup'

Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse's celebration when his team scored the winning goal against Poland in their World Cup opening game has become an internet sensation.When M’Baye Niang put Senegal up 2-0 in ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Rita Damary
40 gambling machines set ablaze in Nakuru Town West

More than 40 gambling machines impounded in Nakuru Town West have been set ablaze by county administrators.The machines were seized in the ongoing crackdown ordered by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 17:55
@CITIZENTV - By: Agnes Amondi
Guikan nets hatrick in Gor rout of Kenpoly

Guikan nets hatrick in Gor rout of Kenpoly ...

Category: topnews news sports
Our App