@StandardMedia

Sh2.5b Miwani land ‘fraud’ case stalls for a second time

3 weeks ago, 15:59

By: Harold Odhiambo

The hearing of a case on an alleged fraudulent transfer of a Sh2.5 billion land belonging to Miwani Sugar Company stalled for a second time.

This is after a key witness who was supposed to testify before Chief Magistrate Julius Ngar’ Ngar’ failed to attend Monday proceedings.

Stanley Miriti, a former detective with the anti-graft agency who is one of the two remaining witnesses in the case had been lined up by the prosecution to testify.

The court heard that he was unwell and could not attend the proceedings.

According to Fred Ashimosi, the prosecutor in the case, Miriti was treated for malaria at a hospital in South Kinangop.

He produced a note from Kinangop Clinic indicating that the witnesses is unwell and is suffering from malaria.

In addition, Ashimosi also presented to the court a letter from the Officer Commanding Station at Akara police station as evidence that Miriti was sick.

The defense however questioned if indeed the witness was unwell.

Wesley Gichabi, a defense lawyer, claimed that the prosecutor had told him that he was ready to proceed with the case and wondered why there was change from the part of the prosecution.

“I talked to Ashimosi who told me that he was ready to proceed,” said Gichabi.

The prosecution however said that the witness could not attend the court on Monday.

“He is unwell and therefore he could not attend court,” said Ashimoli.

In the suit, Kibos Sugar Company chairman Sukhwinder Singh Chathe, also a director of Crossley Holdings Ltd, the firm accused of irregularly acquiring the piece of land has been charged alongside former magistrate Abdulkadir Elkindy, Ian Gakoi Mawa, Odongo Philips Katiba, Moses Nyaburo Osewe, Kefa Lumumba Atunga, Epainto Apono Okoyo.

They are alleged to have committed the crime between 2007 and 2008.

On Friday, the case failed to proceed after the lead defence counsel, Richard Onsongo, skipped court.

Gichaba defended his absence saying that Mr Onsongo was on official duty in Lodwar where he was representing the Judiciary in the Court Users Committee.

In April this year, a judge who testified in the case told the court that her signature was used to facilitate the fraudulent transfer.

Justice Olga Sewe said a signature on one of the documents that was purportedly approved when she was still serving as a deputy registrar in 1993 was not hers.

The document was alleged to have been signed during an earlier case at the High Court for the same property.

Two judicial officers who testified then including Justice Sewe, questioned the authenticity of the documents the accused used to facilitate the transfer of the property to M/S Crosselly Holdings Limited.

“I am not the person who signed the document. It has several anomalies including printings which indicate that it was signed in the year 2000 and not 1993 as claimed,” said Justice Sewe said in April.

Onsongo however placed Sewe to task to explain why she was saying the signature did not belong to her while the document did not indicate the ...
Read More


Category: business news

Suggested

9 hours ago, 10:11
@StandardMedia - By: Reuters
Pence declares no end to tariffs till China bows

The stark warning will likely be unwelcome news to financial markets which had hoped for a thaw in the Sino-US dispute and deal at a G20 meeting. ...

Category: business news
9 hours ago, 10:21
@StandardMedia - By: Afp
Undersea gas fires Egypt's national energy dreams

Egypt is looking to use its vast, newly tapped undersea gas reserves to establish itself as a key energy exporter and revive its flagging economy. ...

Category: business news
8 hours ago, 11:37
@StandardMedia - By: Mirror
Workaholic Duchess of Sussex shakes up staff with '5am starts'

In just six months she has tried to do things the way she wants all in a family that has stuck with strict protocols for centuries. ...

Category: business news
8 hours ago, 11:37
@StandardMedia - By: Reuters
Barrick Gold eyes assets, exploration as it plots new phase

Barrick Gold Corp is interested in adding more copper assets provided the red metal is accompanied by bullion. ...

Category: business news
3 hours ago, 16:00
@DailyNation - By: Edwin Okoth
Billions poured into projects to cut fuel cost but consumers yet to gain

A multibillion-shilling bid to relieve consumers from expensive fuel has failed to yield fruit in what remains unclear in the pump pricing calculations made by ERC every middle of the month. ...

Category: topnews news business
3 hours ago, 16:00
@DailyNation -
Kiunjuri stops renting out of cereals’ board silos

The government has ordered termination of all leases of the National and Cereals Produce Board (NCPB) depots in a bid to create space for the purchase of the new grain. ...

Category: business news

@StandardMedia

Sh2.5b Miwani land ‘fraud’ case stalls for a second time

3 weeks ago, 15:59

By: Harold Odhiambo

The hearing of a case on an alleged fraudulent transfer of a Sh2.5 billion land belonging to Miwani Sugar Company stalled for a second time.

This is after a key witness who was supposed to testify before Chief Magistrate Julius Ngar’ Ngar’ failed to attend Monday proceedings.

Stanley Miriti, a former detective with the anti-graft agency who is one of the two remaining witnesses in the case had been lined up by the prosecution to testify.

The court heard that he was unwell and could not attend the proceedings.

According to Fred Ashimosi, the prosecutor in the case, Miriti was treated for malaria at a hospital in South Kinangop.

He produced a note from Kinangop Clinic indicating that the witnesses is unwell and is suffering from malaria.

In addition, Ashimosi also presented to the court a letter from the Officer Commanding Station at Akara police station as evidence that Miriti was sick.

The defense however questioned if indeed the witness was unwell.

Wesley Gichabi, a defense lawyer, claimed that the prosecutor had told him that he was ready to proceed with the case and wondered why there was change from the part of the prosecution.

“I talked to Ashimosi who told me that he was ready to proceed,” said Gichabi.

The prosecution however said that the witness could not attend the court on Monday.

“He is unwell and therefore he could not attend court,” said Ashimoli.

In the suit, Kibos Sugar Company chairman Sukhwinder Singh Chathe, also a director of Crossley Holdings Ltd, the firm accused of irregularly acquiring the piece of land has been charged alongside former magistrate Abdulkadir Elkindy, Ian Gakoi Mawa, Odongo Philips Katiba, Moses Nyaburo Osewe, Kefa Lumumba Atunga, Epainto Apono Okoyo.

They are alleged to have committed the crime between 2007 and 2008.

On Friday, the case failed to proceed after the lead defence counsel, Richard Onsongo, skipped court.

Gichaba defended his absence saying that Mr Onsongo was on official duty in Lodwar where he was representing the Judiciary in the Court Users Committee.

In April this year, a judge who testified in the case told the court that her signature was used to facilitate the fraudulent transfer.

Justice Olga Sewe said a signature on one of the documents that was purportedly approved when she was still serving as a deputy registrar in 1993 was not hers.

The document was alleged to have been signed during an earlier case at the High Court for the same property.

Two judicial officers who testified then including Justice Sewe, questioned the authenticity of the documents the accused used to facilitate the transfer of the property to M/S Crosselly Holdings Limited.

“I am not the person who signed the document. It has several anomalies including printings which indicate that it was signed in the year 2000 and not 1993 as claimed,” said Justice Sewe said in April.

Onsongo however placed Sewe to task to explain why she was saying the signature did not belong to her while the document did not indicate the ...
Read More

Category: business news

Suggested

9 hours ago, 10:11
@StandardMedia - By: Reuters
Pence declares no end to tariffs till China bows

The stark warning will likely be unwelcome news to financial markets which had hoped for a thaw in the Sino-US dispute and deal at a G20 meeting. ...

Category: business news
9 hours ago, 10:21
@StandardMedia - By: Afp
Undersea gas fires Egypt's national energy dreams

Egypt is looking to use its vast, newly tapped undersea gas reserves to establish itself as a key energy exporter and revive its flagging economy. ...

Category: business news
8 hours ago, 11:37
@StandardMedia - By: Mirror
Workaholic Duchess of Sussex shakes up staff with '5am starts'

In just six months she has tried to do things the way she wants all in a family that has stuck with strict protocols for centuries. ...

Category: business news
8 hours ago, 11:37
@StandardMedia - By: Reuters
Barrick Gold eyes assets, exploration as it plots new phase

Barrick Gold Corp is interested in adding more copper assets provided the red metal is accompanied by bullion. ...

Category: business news
3 hours ago, 16:00
@DailyNation - By: Edwin Okoth
Billions poured into projects to cut fuel cost but consumers yet to gain

A multibillion-shilling bid to relieve consumers from expensive fuel has failed to yield fruit in what remains unclear in the pump pricing calculations made by ERC every middle of the month. ...

Category: topnews news business
3 hours ago, 16:00
@DailyNation -
Kiunjuri stops renting out of cereals’ board silos

The government has ordered termination of all leases of the National and Cereals Produce Board (NCPB) depots in a bid to create space for the purchase of the new grain. ...

Category: business news
Our App