@DailyNation

Pellegrino speaks after Southampton sacking

4 months ago, 13 Mar 16:49

By: Afp

LONDON Mauricio Pellegrino admits he paid the price for Southampton's dismal form after he was sacked as manager just nine months into his reign at the Premier League club. Pellegrino managed only five wins in his 30 league games with Southampton following his arrival in June. The 46-year-old arrived at St Mary's as the replacement for Claude Puel, who was sacked despite guiding Southampton to an eighth-place finish and the League Cup final. A 3-0 defeat at relegation rivals Newcastle over the weekend left Southampton just one place and one point above the bottom three. With Southampton supporters calling for his dismissal, the Argentine coach's exit was confirmed on Monday and he accepted it was inevitable given his failure to halt the slide. In a statement published on Southampton's website on Tuesday, Pellegrino said: "From the beginning I tried to do my best every single day, I tried to give back to the club and tried to represent the club with pride. "Some moments we managed this, some moments we couldn't, but we have been living a difficult season for many reasons. "The manager is the face of a lot of decisions and actions, but I always tried to put the club first with my technical staff and the board behind me. "I feel so sorry to leave the club in this situation, but when you don't get results I understand the decision the club has to take." Southampton have won just one of their last 17 league matches and have only eight games to save their top-flight status. Saints will be hoping to appoint Pellegrino's successor quickly, with an FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan looming on Sunday. They then face a crunch clash with relegation rivals West Ham at the London Stadium on March 31. Former Hull boss Marco Silva is the early favourite to replace Pellegrino after being sacked by Watford earlier this season.
Read More


Category: topnews news sports

Suggested

4 hours ago, 00:42
@TheStar - By: Reuben Githinji
Teacher transfers ill plan to destroy unions – Sossion

Knut boss Wilson Sossion has said the government is transferring teachers to kill the union.Sossion on Saturday said the government should stop the delocalisation by September 31 or they will go on st ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Protus Onyango
Teachers to get pay increase as CBA enters second phase

Treasury has released about Sh17 billion for enhanced pay this week, says TSC boss. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Geoffrey Mosoku
Big corruption cases to be handled at the high court

The High Court will now handle high-profile proceedings. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Kepher Otieno
Campaign kicks off to have Raila nominated for Nobel peace prize

Those behind campaign say Opposition chief deserves award for peace initiatives in Kenya and South Sudan. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Kamau Muthoni
Mistrust in marriage is enough to call it quits, court sets new divorce benchmark

The High Court has allowed a couple to part ways without either partner proving wrongdoing by the other. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Evans Kipkura
Girl on risky ride lights up social media

Photos of Class Five pupil protectively holding on to firewood atop a moving motorcycle stirs social media. ...

Category: topnews news

@DailyNation

Pellegrino speaks after Southampton sacking

4 months ago, 13 Mar 16:49

By: Afp
LONDON Mauricio Pellegrino admits he paid the price for Southampton's dismal form after he was sacked as manager just nine months into his reign at the Premier League club. Pellegrino managed only five wins in his 30 league games with Southampton following his arrival in June. The 46-year-old arrived at St Mary's as the replacement for Claude Puel, who was sacked despite guiding Southampton to an eighth-place finish and the League Cup final. A 3-0 defeat at relegation rivals Newcastle over the weekend left Southampton just one place and one point above the bottom three. With Southampton supporters calling for his dismissal, the Argentine coach's exit was confirmed on Monday and he accepted it was inevitable given his failure to halt the slide. In a statement published on Southampton's website on Tuesday, Pellegrino said: "From the beginning I tried to do my best every single day, I tried to give back to the club and tried to represent the club with pride. "Some moments we managed this, some moments we couldn't, but we have been living a difficult season for many reasons. "The manager is the face of a lot of decisions and actions, but I always tried to put the club first with my technical staff and the board behind me. "I feel so sorry to leave the club in this situation, but when you don't get results I understand the decision the club has to take." Southampton have won just one of their last 17 league matches and have only eight games to save their top-flight status. Saints will be hoping to appoint Pellegrino's successor quickly, with an FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan looming on Sunday. They then face a crunch clash with relegation rivals West Ham at the London Stadium on March 31. Former Hull boss Marco Silva is the early favourite to replace Pellegrino after being sacked by Watford earlier this season.
Read More

Category: topnews news sports

Suggested

4 hours ago, 00:42
@TheStar - By: Reuben Githinji
Teacher transfers ill plan to destroy unions – Sossion

Knut boss Wilson Sossion has said the government is transferring teachers to kill the union.Sossion on Saturday said the government should stop the delocalisation by September 31 or they will go on st ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Protus Onyango
Teachers to get pay increase as CBA enters second phase

Treasury has released about Sh17 billion for enhanced pay this week, says TSC boss. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Geoffrey Mosoku
Big corruption cases to be handled at the high court

The High Court will now handle high-profile proceedings. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Kepher Otieno
Campaign kicks off to have Raila nominated for Nobel peace prize

Those behind campaign say Opposition chief deserves award for peace initiatives in Kenya and South Sudan. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Kamau Muthoni
Mistrust in marriage is enough to call it quits, court sets new divorce benchmark

The High Court has allowed a couple to part ways without either partner proving wrongdoing by the other. ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 00:17
@StandardMedia - By: Evans Kipkura
Girl on risky ride lights up social media

Photos of Class Five pupil protectively holding on to firewood atop a moving motorcycle stirs social media. ...

Category: topnews news
Our App