@StandardMedia

Man sues hospital, doctors after impregnating wife alleging faulty vasectomy surgery

1 weeks ago, 00:08

By: Joackim Bwana

A man has sued a hospital and its doctors after he allegedly made his wife pregnant even after a vasectomy was done on him.

Samuel Gatenjwa has sued Marie Stopes Kenya Limited and a Dr Igogi for conducting a faulty vasectomy, which is a surgical procedure for male sterilisation or permanent contraception.

In the case before the High Court in Mombasa, Mr Gatenjwa said the doctors had assured him that there would be no risk and that the operation would provide a permanent solution to his intention to be sterilised.

Lady Justice Dorah Chepkwony heard that the operation was necessary as his wife was experiencing unpleasant health side effects as a result of previous contraceptive measures.

“For a variety of reasons, my wife and I would not be in a position to bear more children hence the operation was necessary,” said Gatenjwa.

Through his lawyers, the plaintiff claimed the doctor told him he would be fully informed of any adverse effects that may result from the vasectomy.

He said the doctor promised that the operation would be conducted in a professional and competent manner with all reasonable care, skill and diligence.

Gatenjwa said the operation was undertaken on March 23, 2004, and he informed that the operation was successful.

He said that in 2005, his wife became pregnant and subsequent tests revealed he was not sterile as he had been led to believe after undergoing the vasectomy.

“I put my wife to great health risk, causing her to suffer due to the incompetent careless actions of the hospital.”

He said the hospital and its doctor failed to ensure that the tubes that carry the sperm were removed.

Gatenjwa said the doctor failed to advise him that there was a risk that his sterilisation would not be permanent.

He wants the court to award him exemplary and general damages.

However, the hospital and the doctor have all denied that they made an express warranty to Gatenjwa that the procedure would be an unqualified success.

The hospital has denied that it advised Gatenjwa to undergo vasectomy and want him to prove otherwise.

“We admit having carried out the procedure on the plaintiff as alleged but we did not inform the plaintiff (Gatenjwa) that the operation was a success as he alleges,” said the hospital.

The hospital said it fully advised Gatenjwa of the procedure prior to carrying it out and that the surgery was conducted upon his consent.

“Gatenjwa had confirmed that he had fully understood and agreed to undertake the risks involved in the said procedure,” said Okundi Advocates.

The lawyers said that having voluntarily agreed to undertake the procedure and having executed a disclaimer, Gatenjwa cannot make any claim against the hospital or doctor from the failed operation.

Dr Igogi, who was yesterday set to testify in defence of the hospital, was stood down after Gatenjwa’ lawyer, Michael Maundu, objected.

Maundu said Dr Igogi had not produced academic papers and a consent latter signed between the hospital and Gatenjwa.


Read More


Category: topnews news

Suggested

2 hours ago, 22:45
@TheStar - By: Imende Benjamin @ ...
Uhuru postpones dowry ceremony

President Uhuru Kenyatta has postponed paying the dowry of his great-grandmother named Musana from Narok after three centuries.The president wanted to pay the bride price to correct the wrongs his gre ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 22:45
@TheStar - By: Imende [email pro ...
Police on the lookout for daytime drunken drivers

Police have introduced daytime alcoblow tests to curb road carnage during the festive season.Inspector of General Joseph Boinnet on Friday said the alcoblow will remain in place even after the festive ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:13
@DailyNation - By: Ouma Wanzala
KCSE results out soon as marking ends, analysis begins

Examiner says the results are likely to be issued before December 20. ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:13
@CITIZENTV - By: Sam Gituku
Kagame to Burundi: Leave us out of your problems

Rwandan President Paul Kagame has distanced his Government from accusations that it had a role to play in the absence of Burundi at an EAC summit ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:33
@TheStar - By: Kiplang'at Kirui ...
Maasai elders deny opposing new currency coins

Maasai Council of elders have denied claims being circulated in the social media that they have opposed new currency coins launched by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday.National organising secretary ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 20:42
@TheStar - By: Maurice Alal @ala ...
Four fishermen drown after boat capsizes in Lake Victoria

Four fishermen drowned on Thursday after their boat capsized in Lake Victoria at Seme, Kisumu county. They are Dennis Abala, Kennedy Oketch, Wilson Ndolo, and Chrispinus Bolo from West Kadinga sub-loc ...

Category: topnews news

@StandardMedia

Man sues hospital, doctors after impregnating wife alleging faulty vasectomy surgery

1 weeks ago, 00:08

By: Joackim Bwana

A man has sued a hospital and its doctors after he allegedly made his wife pregnant even after a vasectomy was done on him.

Samuel Gatenjwa has sued Marie Stopes Kenya Limited and a Dr Igogi for conducting a faulty vasectomy, which is a surgical procedure for male sterilisation or permanent contraception.

In the case before the High Court in Mombasa, Mr Gatenjwa said the doctors had assured him that there would be no risk and that the operation would provide a permanent solution to his intention to be sterilised.

Lady Justice Dorah Chepkwony heard that the operation was necessary as his wife was experiencing unpleasant health side effects as a result of previous contraceptive measures.

“For a variety of reasons, my wife and I would not be in a position to bear more children hence the operation was necessary,” said Gatenjwa.

Through his lawyers, the plaintiff claimed the doctor told him he would be fully informed of any adverse effects that may result from the vasectomy.

He said the doctor promised that the operation would be conducted in a professional and competent manner with all reasonable care, skill and diligence.

Gatenjwa said the operation was undertaken on March 23, 2004, and he informed that the operation was successful.

He said that in 2005, his wife became pregnant and subsequent tests revealed he was not sterile as he had been led to believe after undergoing the vasectomy.

“I put my wife to great health risk, causing her to suffer due to the incompetent careless actions of the hospital.”

He said the hospital and its doctor failed to ensure that the tubes that carry the sperm were removed.

Gatenjwa said the doctor failed to advise him that there was a risk that his sterilisation would not be permanent.

He wants the court to award him exemplary and general damages.

However, the hospital and the doctor have all denied that they made an express warranty to Gatenjwa that the procedure would be an unqualified success.

The hospital has denied that it advised Gatenjwa to undergo vasectomy and want him to prove otherwise.

“We admit having carried out the procedure on the plaintiff as alleged but we did not inform the plaintiff (Gatenjwa) that the operation was a success as he alleges,” said the hospital.

The hospital said it fully advised Gatenjwa of the procedure prior to carrying it out and that the surgery was conducted upon his consent.

“Gatenjwa had confirmed that he had fully understood and agreed to undertake the risks involved in the said procedure,” said Okundi Advocates.

The lawyers said that having voluntarily agreed to undertake the procedure and having executed a disclaimer, Gatenjwa cannot make any claim against the hospital or doctor from the failed operation.

Dr Igogi, who was yesterday set to testify in defence of the hospital, was stood down after Gatenjwa’ lawyer, Michael Maundu, objected.

Maundu said Dr Igogi had not produced academic papers and a consent latter signed between the hospital and Gatenjwa.


Read More

Category: topnews news

Suggested

2 hours ago, 22:45
@TheStar - By: Imende Benjamin @ ...
Uhuru postpones dowry ceremony

President Uhuru Kenyatta has postponed paying the dowry of his great-grandmother named Musana from Narok after three centuries.The president wanted to pay the bride price to correct the wrongs his gre ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 22:45
@TheStar - By: Imende [email pro ...
Police on the lookout for daytime drunken drivers

Police have introduced daytime alcoblow tests to curb road carnage during the festive season.Inspector of General Joseph Boinnet on Friday said the alcoblow will remain in place even after the festive ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:13
@DailyNation - By: Ouma Wanzala
KCSE results out soon as marking ends, analysis begins

Examiner says the results are likely to be issued before December 20. ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:13
@CITIZENTV - By: Sam Gituku
Kagame to Burundi: Leave us out of your problems

Rwandan President Paul Kagame has distanced his Government from accusations that it had a role to play in the absence of Burundi at an EAC summit ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 21:33
@TheStar - By: Kiplang'at Kirui ...
Maasai elders deny opposing new currency coins

Maasai Council of elders have denied claims being circulated in the social media that they have opposed new currency coins launched by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday.National organising secretary ...

Category: topnews news
4 hours ago, 20:42
@TheStar - By: Maurice Alal @ala ...
Four fishermen drown after boat capsizes in Lake Victoria

Four fishermen drowned on Thursday after their boat capsized in Lake Victoria at Seme, Kisumu county. They are Dennis Abala, Kennedy Oketch, Wilson Ndolo, and Chrispinus Bolo from West Kadinga sub-loc ...

Category: topnews news
Our App