Kenyans attack Transport CS after he sent condolences
2 months ago, 11 Oct 13:33
- The accident involved a Homeboyz bus which plunged in a valley in Kipkelion
- It is suspected the bus was carrying excess passengers and excess luggage
- At least 56 people died with about 16 nursing serious injuries in hospital
- Kenyans have been angered by CS Macharia and have termed him incompetent
- A section of them want him to resign and let a thorough leader take over
- They wonder how a bus without a night travel permit to plied the route at night
- The driver of the bus is said to have hired three weeks ago and
Even as Kenyans come into terms with Kericho horror bus crash that, a condolence message by Transport CS James Macharia seems to have funned the pain.
Shortly after news of the Wednesday, October 10, 4:00am accident had spread, Macharia was among the first top government officials who expressed their sorrow.
Through social media, Macharia claimed the accident had shocked him but those who responded think it was a scorn to Kenyans as 56 lives had just been lost under his watch.
However, what escalated the angry reactions, is when the CS asked the Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet to arrested the owner of the bus as it did not have a
Those who reacted wondered how the bus passed dozens of police checks right from Nairobi to the point where it crashed without any officer realising it had no permit.
Through Facebook, Jonathan Manase suggested the CS to be arrested the , already in custody, be released.
Donald B Kipkorir via Twitter, claimed that Macharia's tenure in the transport docket was punctuated by horrific carnage and thus called for the CS to tender his resignation.
He claimed that in developed economies, leaders in his position would have stepped down immediately to allow for swift action to be taken to mitigate the situation.
Joshua K. Njenga asserted that Macharia was only alive to other sectors of transport for instance the SGR and direct flights to the US but largely ignore road transport.
He further charged that it was sad the sad the CS maintained a low profile as the new broke.
For sanity to be restored on the road, Verah Vashti Okeyo claimed that one of the top government officials needed to bitten hard in a similar carnage.
This, Okeyo claimed would reinstate order as the leaders would have had a taste of the bile involved in road accidents.
Here are other reactions of users who were irked by the CS's remarks and the spate of road accidents dogging his docket.
Category: politics news topnews