@StandardMedia

Chebukati ordered to face court as war with Chiloba escalates

2 months ago, 12 July 17:54

By: Paul Ogemba

Electoral commission chairman Wafula Chebukati risks being jailed for disobeying a court order to reinstate embattled chief executive officer Ezra Chiloba.

Justice Stephen Radido has summoned Mr Chebukati and commissioners Abdi Guliye and Boya Molu to appear in court within 30 days.

“The court issues a 30 day notice to Chebukati, Guliye and Molu who purport to constitute the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission to personally attend court to show cause why contempt of court proceedings should not be commenced against them,” ruled Radido.

On June 14, Justice Radido ruled that Chebukati did not follow the right procedure when he sent Chiloba on a three month compulsory leave on April 6 and ordered that the CEO be allowed back to work.

The Judge further restrained Chebukati or any member of the commission from interfering, stopping or blocking Chiloba from resuming office or doing anything that would hinder him from carrying out his duties.

However, before Chiloba could resume office, Chebukati issued another memo the same day suspending him for a further three months.

Chiloba then filed another suit for contempt seeking the jailing of the chairman and the two commissioners for six months for refusing to allow him resume office.

His lawyer, Andrew Wandabwa argued that Chiloba stood to suffer immeasurable prejudice and irreversible violation of his constitutional rights unless the court intervenes not only to protect him but also to ensure court processes and orders were not in vain.

Opposing the application for contempt, Chebukati argued that he did not disobey the court order.

According to the chairman, the judge had not stopped the commission from sending Chiloba on another compulsory leave.

“Since he is the CEO and various issues have emerged surrounding key procurement in last year’s election, we found it necessary to suspend him pending completion of investigations,” said Chebukati.

He said the investigations included inflation of costs above contract price, lack of documentation for contract details, extension of contract beyond required time and payments for goods and services not required during the repeat presidential election.


Read More


Category: topnews news

Suggested

3 hours ago, 23:53
@TheStar - By: Dpps
Uproar over new tax healthy, says DP Ruto

The government will eliminate wastage of public funds to ensure Kenyans get value for money, Deputy President William Ruto said yesterday.The DP said the government will only invest in projects that w ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 23:53
@TheStar - By: Maurice Alal @ala ...
Valiant schemes produce more rice

Western Kenya Schemes made huge rice production despite high costs and dilapidated facilities, regional manager Joel Tonui has said.The schemes produced 22,550 tonnes against the country’s annual rice ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 00:04
@TheStar - By: Hilton Otenyo @hi ...
Stop hypocrisy over Luhya unity, Mudavadi tells leaders

ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi has hit out at “dishonest” Western Kenya leaders who have become mouthpieces of an “outsider”.He said on Saturday that he is not interested in their advice.“Stop lecturing ...

Category: topnews news
6 hours ago, 21:24
@DailyNation - By: Collins Omulo
Post-mortem on 12 Pumwani babies set for Tuesday

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has announced plans for a "new look" 'Sonko Pumwani Maternity Hospital. ...

Category: topnews news counties
4 hours ago, 22:32
@TheStar - By: Star Reporter
Obado supporters hold protest, demand release from cells

A section of Migori residents on Sunday took to the streets protesting against the arrest of governor Okoth Obado.The residents with placards written 'No Obado , no peace' chanted his slogans while de ...

Category: topnews news
5 hours ago, 21:47
@TheStar - By: Brian Otieno @yob ...
Woman kidnapped in Mombasa found alive in Nairobi

The 20-year-old pregnant woman who went missing on Thursday has been found alive in Nairobi.Saida Abdulrahman is said to have been rescued in Nairobi's Majengo slum.The Eight months pregnant Saida  wa ...

Category: topnews news

@StandardMedia

Chebukati ordered to face court as war with Chiloba escalates

2 months ago, 12 July 17:54

By: Paul Ogemba

Electoral commission chairman Wafula Chebukati risks being jailed for disobeying a court order to reinstate embattled chief executive officer Ezra Chiloba.

Justice Stephen Radido has summoned Mr Chebukati and commissioners Abdi Guliye and Boya Molu to appear in court within 30 days.

“The court issues a 30 day notice to Chebukati, Guliye and Molu who purport to constitute the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission to personally attend court to show cause why contempt of court proceedings should not be commenced against them,” ruled Radido.

On June 14, Justice Radido ruled that Chebukati did not follow the right procedure when he sent Chiloba on a three month compulsory leave on April 6 and ordered that the CEO be allowed back to work.

The Judge further restrained Chebukati or any member of the commission from interfering, stopping or blocking Chiloba from resuming office or doing anything that would hinder him from carrying out his duties.

However, before Chiloba could resume office, Chebukati issued another memo the same day suspending him for a further three months.

Chiloba then filed another suit for contempt seeking the jailing of the chairman and the two commissioners for six months for refusing to allow him resume office.

His lawyer, Andrew Wandabwa argued that Chiloba stood to suffer immeasurable prejudice and irreversible violation of his constitutional rights unless the court intervenes not only to protect him but also to ensure court processes and orders were not in vain.

Opposing the application for contempt, Chebukati argued that he did not disobey the court order.

According to the chairman, the judge had not stopped the commission from sending Chiloba on another compulsory leave.

“Since he is the CEO and various issues have emerged surrounding key procurement in last year’s election, we found it necessary to suspend him pending completion of investigations,” said Chebukati.

He said the investigations included inflation of costs above contract price, lack of documentation for contract details, extension of contract beyond required time and payments for goods and services not required during the repeat presidential election.


Read More

Category: topnews news

Suggested

3 hours ago, 23:53
@TheStar - By: Dpps
Uproar over new tax healthy, says DP Ruto

The government will eliminate wastage of public funds to ensure Kenyans get value for money, Deputy President William Ruto said yesterday.The DP said the government will only invest in projects that w ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 23:53
@TheStar - By: Maurice Alal @ala ...
Valiant schemes produce more rice

Western Kenya Schemes made huge rice production despite high costs and dilapidated facilities, regional manager Joel Tonui has said.The schemes produced 22,550 tonnes against the country’s annual rice ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 00:04
@TheStar - By: Hilton Otenyo @hi ...
Stop hypocrisy over Luhya unity, Mudavadi tells leaders

ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi has hit out at “dishonest” Western Kenya leaders who have become mouthpieces of an “outsider”.He said on Saturday that he is not interested in their advice.“Stop lecturing ...

Category: topnews news
6 hours ago, 21:24
@DailyNation - By: Collins Omulo
Post-mortem on 12 Pumwani babies set for Tuesday

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has announced plans for a "new look" 'Sonko Pumwani Maternity Hospital. ...

Category: topnews news counties
4 hours ago, 22:32
@TheStar - By: Star Reporter
Obado supporters hold protest, demand release from cells

A section of Migori residents on Sunday took to the streets protesting against the arrest of governor Okoth Obado.The residents with placards written 'No Obado , no peace' chanted his slogans while de ...

Category: topnews news
5 hours ago, 21:47
@TheStar - By: Brian Otieno @yob ...
Woman kidnapped in Mombasa found alive in Nairobi

The 20-year-old pregnant woman who went missing on Thursday has been found alive in Nairobi.Saida Abdulrahman is said to have been rescued in Nairobi's Majengo slum.The Eight months pregnant Saida  wa ...

Category: topnews news
Our App