@DailyNation

Appeals court dismisses petition against Mike Sonko's win NEVER MISS A STORY

8 months ago, 16 Apr 11:17

By: Sam Kiplagat

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko can now breathe easy after the Court of Appeal dismissed a case seeking to revive an election petition against him. Justices Roselyn Nambuye, Gatembu Kairu and Kathurima M’Inoti agreed with High Court Judge Mbogholi Msagha that he rightly dismissed the case because the petitioners, Japhet Muroko and Zachaeus Okoth, were no longer interested in pursuing the matter. PETITION The judges ruled that an election court is not powerless and a judge has the discretion to strike out a case where circumstances demand. They, however, noted that the only mistake justice Msagha did was to strike out the case when he should have dismissed the petition. “Accordingly, we hereby substitute an order striking out the petition with an order dismissing the petition for lack of evidence,” the judges said. The court also agreed that costs follow events and those who file frivolous cases should be ready to pay costs.  The petitioners were ordered to pay Sh5 million in costs by the High Court. 'MORE TIME' Through his lawyers Harrison Kinyanjui and Cecil Miller, Mr Sonko argued that justice Msagha was right in striking out the petition because the two petitioners were not interested in prosecuting the case. He said the case was adjourned twice to allow Mr Muroko and Mr Okoth to prosecute the case but they were not ready and sought more time. “You cannot ignore the fact that thousands of his (supporters) were also anxious and wanted the case brought to a finality. Withdrawing the case would have caused more anxiety,” Mr Kinyanjui said. Immediately after the decision, lawyer John Khaminwa for the two petitioners, said they will be moving to the Supreme Court because the judges had not addressed the issue of intimidation and threats made towards them.
Read More


Category: topnews news counties

Suggested

1 hours ago, 21:46
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
More than 40 hurt in explosion in Japan’s Sapporo: Kyodo

More than 40 people were injured in an explosion on Sunday at a bar in Sapporo in northern Japan, Kyodo news agency reported. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 21:15
@CITIZENTV - By: Ian Omondi
It all started with a headache: Ruth Odinga’s emotional and painful fight for her life

In an exclusive interview, Rosemary Odinga opens up on how she first noticed something was wrong health-wise during a trip with her daughters to Naivasha. ...

Category: topnews news
42 minutes
@TheStar - By: Kurgat Marindany ...
Kalonzo: Why I decided to work with Uhuru

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has for the first time revealed the main reason behind his unreserved support of the Jubilee administration following the March 9 handshake. Speaking on Sunday in Kajiado, ...

Category: topnews news
Now
@AfricaNews - By: Abdur Rahman Alfa ...
Egypt, South Africa officially bid to host AFCON 2019 - CAF | Africanews

Bidding was reopened for hosts with South Africa being the first to express interest. Egypt threw their hat in only after Morocco - who had hosted the CHAN earlier this year, opted out. ...

Category: africa topnews news
3 hours ago, 20:22
@DailyNation -
CJ Maraga fires back, says Haji slowing down graft cases

Chief Justice David Maraga says Noordin Haji to blame for adjournment of cases. ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 20:22
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
Israel’s tech sector faces challenge from shortage of workers

Israel is struggling to recruit enough workers to its technology sector, a report showed on Sunday, creating a challenge for an industry seen as the country’s main potential driver of economic growth ...

Category: topnews news

@DailyNation

Appeals court dismisses petition against Mike Sonko's win NEVER MISS A STORY

8 months ago, 16 Apr 11:17

By: Sam Kiplagat
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko can now breathe easy after the Court of Appeal dismissed a case seeking to revive an election petition against him. Justices Roselyn Nambuye, Gatembu Kairu and Kathurima M’Inoti agreed with High Court Judge Mbogholi Msagha that he rightly dismissed the case because the petitioners, Japhet Muroko and Zachaeus Okoth, were no longer interested in pursuing the matter. PETITION The judges ruled that an election court is not powerless and a judge has the discretion to strike out a case where circumstances demand. They, however, noted that the only mistake justice Msagha did was to strike out the case when he should have dismissed the petition. “Accordingly, we hereby substitute an order striking out the petition with an order dismissing the petition for lack of evidence,” the judges said. The court also agreed that costs follow events and those who file frivolous cases should be ready to pay costs.  The petitioners were ordered to pay Sh5 million in costs by the High Court. 'MORE TIME' Through his lawyers Harrison Kinyanjui and Cecil Miller, Mr Sonko argued that justice Msagha was right in striking out the petition because the two petitioners were not interested in prosecuting the case. He said the case was adjourned twice to allow Mr Muroko and Mr Okoth to prosecute the case but they were not ready and sought more time. “You cannot ignore the fact that thousands of his (supporters) were also anxious and wanted the case brought to a finality. Withdrawing the case would have caused more anxiety,” Mr Kinyanjui said. Immediately after the decision, lawyer John Khaminwa for the two petitioners, said they will be moving to the Supreme Court because the judges had not addressed the issue of intimidation and threats made towards them.
Read More

Category: topnews news counties

Suggested

1 hours ago, 21:46
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
More than 40 hurt in explosion in Japan’s Sapporo: Kyodo

More than 40 people were injured in an explosion on Sunday at a bar in Sapporo in northern Japan, Kyodo news agency reported. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 21:15
@CITIZENTV - By: Ian Omondi
It all started with a headache: Ruth Odinga’s emotional and painful fight for her life

In an exclusive interview, Rosemary Odinga opens up on how she first noticed something was wrong health-wise during a trip with her daughters to Naivasha. ...

Category: topnews news
42 minutes
@TheStar - By: Kurgat Marindany ...
Kalonzo: Why I decided to work with Uhuru

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has for the first time revealed the main reason behind his unreserved support of the Jubilee administration following the March 9 handshake. Speaking on Sunday in Kajiado, ...

Category: topnews news
Now
@AfricaNews - By: Abdur Rahman Alfa ...
Egypt, South Africa officially bid to host AFCON 2019 - CAF | Africanews

Bidding was reopened for hosts with South Africa being the first to express interest. Egypt threw their hat in only after Morocco - who had hosted the CHAN earlier this year, opted out. ...

Category: africa topnews news
3 hours ago, 20:22
@DailyNation -
CJ Maraga fires back, says Haji slowing down graft cases

Chief Justice David Maraga says Noordin Haji to blame for adjournment of cases. ...

Category: topnews news
3 hours ago, 20:22
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
Israel’s tech sector faces challenge from shortage of workers

Israel is struggling to recruit enough workers to its technology sector, a report showed on Sunday, creating a challenge for an industry seen as the country’s main potential driver of economic growth ...

Category: topnews news
Our App