@StandardMedia

26 schools in Nyanza closed indefinitely as unrests persist

4 days ago, 09:53

By: Kevine Omollo

At least 4, 210 secondary school students in Nyanza are out of school following the spate of unrest reported in the area.

A report by area security agencies has painted a grim picture of the state of learning in schools, even as strikes continue to be reported, with just three months to the national examinations.

Regional Police Commander Lewnard Katana Thursday confirmed that at least 26 schools have been closed between July 1, and July 11 following the unrest. Out of these, 13 have resulted to cases of arson, with 797 students losing their property in the inferno.

Siaya County reported the highest number of schools closed at 12, while Kisumu and Homa Bay reported nine and two cases of schools closed respectively, as Migori, Kisii and Nyamira reported a case each.

Kisumu however lead with the number of schools torched at five, followed by three in Siaya, two in Homa Bay and one each in Migori, Nyamira and Kisii.

From the report, students in Kisumu are the most affected, with 2, 050 students out of school, in what Katana said was becoming a worrying trend.

Mr Katana Thursday confirmed that 47 students have since been arrested in connection with the incidents, and are at different stages of legal action.

“We are yet to take all of them to court, because some are still being interrogated, but we can confirm that we are working on the cases to have all criminal cases punished,” said Katana.

He added: “We have also asked the school administrations to work with the relevant government agencies to get us reports on the estimated cost of damage, which will also help us in prosecuting the cases.”

But even as the security boss released his report, three more schools were reported to have been torched, barely 12 hours after the security team compiled the report.

And Katana said police were able to foil a plan by students to torch a dormitory within Seme, in Kisumu County, impounding two litres of petrol.

He said police had intensified patrols in the area, and were tracing leads on people behind the incidents which have threatened to paralyze learning in the area.

“We are concerned that these incidents have become more in this region, and we are following every lead which can help us lay a hand on the perpetrators,” he said.

On Monday, Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed and Kenya National Examination Council Chairman George Magoha visited the region, in a fact finding mission over the ongoing unrest.

Professor Magoha warned students that the commission would not postpone the exams due to the unrest, with Mohamed saying the government was keen to treating the incidents as purely criminal cases.

And Thursday, Mr Katana called on all the stakeholders in the education sector to join hands to help curb the social aspects of the incidents.

This followed reports of contagion effects, in which students were engaging in strike following such incidents in their neighbouring schools.

“All of us have the responsibilities to ensure that we ...
Read More


Category: topnews news

Suggested

33 minutes
@TheStar - By: Prof Peter Wanyan ...
Expert comment: So far so good in graft war but let's see convictions

It's good that we are talking openly about corruption and we appear to be taking some action. That includes the agreement between Kenya and Switzerland in which the Swiss promised to return assets and ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Star Reporter @th ...
Keter and Kenya Power board name new team

Energy Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter yesterday said charging all senior managers of Kenya Power was similar to the plane crash in which the entire Zambian national football team died."It is sad and ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 05:11
@DailyNation - By: John Kamau
How ex-Kenya Power boss Gichuru 'escaaped' with millions

Already, the Jersey government has seized Sh520 million loot and remitted it to Kenya. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 05:11
@DailyNation - By: Aggrey Mutambo
Ex-President Obama reinforces call to tame graft in Kogelo visit

He said that Kenya has come a long way and more should be done to alleviate people's welfare. ...

Category: topnews news
36 minutes
@DailyNation -
Football stars critical of VAR after World Cup final

VAR played a key role in France's World Cup final win over Croatia. ...

Category: sports topnews news
1 hour ago
@DailyNation - By: Afp
Chelsea new coach eager to face Premier League's top bosses

Chelsea finished fifth last season and so missed out on a place in Europe's elite Champions League. ...

Category: topnews news sports

@StandardMedia

26 schools in Nyanza closed indefinitely as unrests persist

4 days ago, 09:53

By: Kevine Omollo

At least 4, 210 secondary school students in Nyanza are out of school following the spate of unrest reported in the area.

A report by area security agencies has painted a grim picture of the state of learning in schools, even as strikes continue to be reported, with just three months to the national examinations.

Regional Police Commander Lewnard Katana Thursday confirmed that at least 26 schools have been closed between July 1, and July 11 following the unrest. Out of these, 13 have resulted to cases of arson, with 797 students losing their property in the inferno.

Siaya County reported the highest number of schools closed at 12, while Kisumu and Homa Bay reported nine and two cases of schools closed respectively, as Migori, Kisii and Nyamira reported a case each.

Kisumu however lead with the number of schools torched at five, followed by three in Siaya, two in Homa Bay and one each in Migori, Nyamira and Kisii.

From the report, students in Kisumu are the most affected, with 2, 050 students out of school, in what Katana said was becoming a worrying trend.

Mr Katana Thursday confirmed that 47 students have since been arrested in connection with the incidents, and are at different stages of legal action.

“We are yet to take all of them to court, because some are still being interrogated, but we can confirm that we are working on the cases to have all criminal cases punished,” said Katana.

He added: “We have also asked the school administrations to work with the relevant government agencies to get us reports on the estimated cost of damage, which will also help us in prosecuting the cases.”

But even as the security boss released his report, three more schools were reported to have been torched, barely 12 hours after the security team compiled the report.

And Katana said police were able to foil a plan by students to torch a dormitory within Seme, in Kisumu County, impounding two litres of petrol.

He said police had intensified patrols in the area, and were tracing leads on people behind the incidents which have threatened to paralyze learning in the area.

“We are concerned that these incidents have become more in this region, and we are following every lead which can help us lay a hand on the perpetrators,” he said.

On Monday, Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed and Kenya National Examination Council Chairman George Magoha visited the region, in a fact finding mission over the ongoing unrest.

Professor Magoha warned students that the commission would not postpone the exams due to the unrest, with Mohamed saying the government was keen to treating the incidents as purely criminal cases.

And Thursday, Mr Katana called on all the stakeholders in the education sector to join hands to help curb the social aspects of the incidents.

This followed reports of contagion effects, in which students were engaging in strike following such incidents in their neighbouring schools.

“All of us have the responsibilities to ensure that we ...
Read More

Category: topnews news

Suggested

33 minutes
@TheStar - By: Prof Peter Wanyan ...
Expert comment: So far so good in graft war but let's see convictions

It's good that we are talking openly about corruption and we appear to be taking some action. That includes the agreement between Kenya and Switzerland in which the Swiss promised to return assets and ...

Category: topnews news
1 hour ago
@TheStar - By: Star Reporter @th ...
Keter and Kenya Power board name new team

Energy Cabinet Secretary Charles Keter yesterday said charging all senior managers of Kenya Power was similar to the plane crash in which the entire Zambian national football team died."It is sad and ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 05:11
@DailyNation - By: John Kamau
How ex-Kenya Power boss Gichuru 'escaaped' with millions

Already, the Jersey government has seized Sh520 million loot and remitted it to Kenya. ...

Category: topnews news
2 hours ago, 05:11
@DailyNation - By: Aggrey Mutambo
Ex-President Obama reinforces call to tame graft in Kogelo visit

He said that Kenya has come a long way and more should be done to alleviate people's welfare. ...

Category: topnews news
36 minutes
@DailyNation -
Football stars critical of VAR after World Cup final

VAR played a key role in France's World Cup final win over Croatia. ...

Category: sports topnews news
1 hour ago
@DailyNation - By: Afp
Chelsea new coach eager to face Premier League's top bosses

Chelsea finished fifth last season and so missed out on a place in Europe's elite Champions League. ...

Category: topnews news sports
Our App